Export A MySQL Database
- Using SSH, execute the following command:
mysqldump -p -u username database_name > dbname.sql
- You will be prompted for a password, type in the password for the username and press Enter. Replace username, password and database_name with your MySQL username, password and database name.
The file dbname.sql now holds a backup of your database and is ready for download to your computer.
Import A MySQL Database
- Start by uploading the .sql file onto the Bluehost server
- If you haven't already done so, create the MySQL database via the cpanel. Click Here for further instructions
- Using SSH, navigate to the directory where your .sql file is.
- Next run this command:
mysql -p -u username database_name < file.sql
Note: The -p will prompt for your account's password.
Note: username is the user with rights to the database. If you are unsure what the username is you can use the same username and password used to sign into SSH.
Note: Make sure your database name has your Bluehost username prefix with the _ (underscore) after it and the database name.